Learning Specialist vs Tutor

Enrichment Therapies

January 16, 2017


By Haley Hall, B.A. Learning Specialist & LEAP Instructor

When students struggle in school parents often decide to enroll their child in learning services to help them learn the skills they need to succeed. The first option that comes to mind for extra help typically is tutoring service. Here at ETLC, we offer tutoring services, and I am one of the learning specialists that might work with your child. Our tutoring services are always taught by learning specialists. At other facilities, your child might receive services from a tutor. There are some significant differences between learning specialists and tutors, so I’ve put together some information to help you decide which is best for your child’s needs.


  • A tutor can help your child re-learn subjects taught in school.
  • A tutor can help your child’s grades improve.
  • A tutor can review class material with your child to prepare them for a test.
  • Tutors might be college students, professionals trained in a specific teaching approach, adults with a different part- or full-time job, or certified teachers.

Learning Specialists

  • A learning specialist at ETLC is a certified teacher within the state of Iowa, which means that they have a college degree in education.
  • A learning specialist will conduct a full evaluation with your child to see where their learning deficits are.
  • A learning specialist will put together a set of goals and benchmarks that are reviewed every three months. These goals will help “fill in the gaps” of critical foundational skills that the child may be lacking.
  • A learning specialist will keep track of data to demonstrate the progress that is made towards the child’s goals.
  • A learning specialist can also help your child comprehend the information they are learning in school and can teach them to visualize learning concepts.
  • A learning specialist can help your child’s learning develop at a deep level, which in turn, helps improve their grades, confidence, and overall learning experience.

When determining whether your child needs a tutor or a learning specialist, be sure to keep the above information in mind. If you aren’t sure whether your child has all of the foundational learning skills that they need, I would suggest working with a learning specialist. To learn more about learning specialists and how we can help your child meet their learning goals, give us a call!

Enrichment Therapy & Learning Center has locations in the Iowa City, IA area and Des Moines, IA area. We provide individual speech-language therapy and tutoring as well as offering small group academic programs.  At Enrichment Therapy & Learning Center our passion is to help kids achieve effective communication skills and gain academic success.  Contact us for more information on how we can help your child succeed.


740 Community Drive, Unit A

North Liberty, IA 52317



5530 West Pkwy, Suite 300

Johnston, IA 50131


Related Posts