Does your school-aged child struggle remembering their vocabulary words? Are history facts and science concepts difficult to recall?
You are not alone! Many children have difficulty with memorization of facts. Each child has a unique learning style and it is important to discover how your child learns best. At Enrichment Therapy and Learning Center (ETLC) we utilize a wide array of learning strategies to find an individualized approach that optimizes your child’s learning.
Here are a few memorization strategies that may work for your child:
- Write it down: Have your child practice their vocabulary or history facts at home by writing it down. They can use flashcards to write the name of the vocabulary word or process on the front and the definition on the back.
- Draw a picture: Often times if a child can visualize the vocabulary word in their head, they may have more success remembering what the word means. You could have your child add a picture to the flashcard that they have already created.
- Word Mapping: If you have the time, word mapping can be a great way to really discover a word. This is an example of a great word map you can download and use: Vocabulary Four Square.
- Say it out loud: Have your child read the word to you and then describe what it means. You could make a game out of it and practice with your child. Each person could take a turn drawing the flashcard out of a hat and describing what the word means.
- Make an Association: Helping your child connect a word to something that is relevant in their lives is key. If your child can remember the association for a word, that will likely help them to recall the definition.
- Make an Acronym: For subjects such as science and history, sometimes making an acronym can be beneficial for children. Be careful not to create an acronym that is more difficult to remember than the actual material 😉
- Sing a Song: Some children benefit from creating a song to go with a word or concept.
Enrichment Therapy & Learning Center has locations in the Iowa City, IA area and Des Moines, IA area. We provide individual speech-language therapy and tutoring as well as offering small group academic programs. At Enrichment Therapy & Learning Center our passion is to help kids achieve effective communication skills and gain academic success. Contact us for more information on how we can help your child succeed.
740 Community Drive, Unit A
North Liberty, IA 52317
5530 West Pkwy, Suite 300
Johnston, IA 50131