When to Seek Help for Stuttering

Enrichment Therapies

November 1, 2012

mom and child smiling at eachother

I am often asked by parents if they should seek therapy for their child’s stuttering.  My answer is usually this, “It depends.”  If your child is younger than 5, if he/she is getting stuck on syllables for example “mo-mo-mom” or “ca-ca-ca-ca-cat” (consonant and vowel are in the repeated sound) and they have been experiencing this for less than 6 months, I wouldn’t worry about it at this point.  It is not uncommon for kids to have a “clumsy stage” with their speech.  These typical dysfluencies are more common in boys and usually last no more than 5-6 months.  However, if your child is older than 6 years, has had this dysfluency for more than 6 months or if any of the following characteristics are noted consult a Speech-Language Pathologist: 1. Experiencing an increase in the frequency of stuttering 2. Facial grimacing (blinking eyes, stain facial expression, nodding head, abnormal mouth movement, etc) 3.  Getting “stuck” on one sound (e.g. b-b-b-b-ball or c-c-c-c-c-cat). If you have any questions at all feel free to contact us for a FREE consultation. At Enrichment Therapy and Learning Center, we are here to help.

Enrichment Therapy & Learning Center has locations in the Iowa City, IA area and Des Moines, IA area. We provide individual speech-language therapy and tutoring as well as offering small group academic programs.  At Enrichment Therapy & Learning Center our passion is to help kids achieve effective communication skills and gain academic success.  Contact us for more information on how we can help your child succeed.


740 Community Drive, Unit A

North Liberty, IA 52317



5530 West Pkwy, Suite 300

Johnston, IA 50131


Related Posts